These pumpkin spice muffins are a delicious treat full of fall flavors. Try this healthy dessert recipe to get in the mood for fall!
Pumpkin muffins are a classic fall snack in my family. They fill the house with the scents of autumn, and their delicious flavor gets us all in the mood for this beautiful season here in New England.
This recipe for pumpkin spice muffins highlights the unique flavor of coconut sugar. It tastes somewhere between brown sugar and molasses, and it’s a healthier choice than many other sweeteners because it’s lower on the glycemic index. The earthy, sweet flavor of coconut sugar goes so well with traditional fall spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. If you don’t have coconut sugar, pure maple syrup is a good alternative here.
As with most gluten-free baked goods, these muffins taste best the day they’re made. If you won’t eat them all in the first day or two, freeze the extras. They’ll keep nicely for a few months in the freezer.
For inspiration about how to use up the extra pumpkin puree, see this post with 20 healthy pumpkin recipes. And if you’re feeling ambitious, try making your own homemade pumpkin puree. It’s actually very easy to do!
For the Muffins
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats chopped
- 2 tbs gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and pumpkin puree.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Transfer the batter to a muffin pan.
- To make the crumb topping, stir together the coconut sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Divide the topping evenly among the muffins and press down slightly.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out almost clean. Pumpkin muffins are always good when they’re a bit underdone.
- Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing the muffins from the pan, then transfer the muffins from the pan to the rack to cool completely.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $6.23 to make, or $.52 per muffin. Try these pumpkin spice muffins for a delicious, healthy taste of fall!