This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These soft dairy free sugar cookies are so delicious. It’s a small batch that’s simple to make using coconut oil and gluten free flour. Everyone loves them!
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a big batch of these dairy free sugar cookies, too. These light, soft cookies have a classic sweet flavor. Even though they’re dairy free and gluten free, everyone loves them regardless of food allergies or intolerances.
There are two keys to making soft dairy free sugar cookies. You need to roll them to the proper thickness, and they should be taken out of the oven as soon as they’re set. If you roll them too thin or leave them in the oven too long, they’ll be crispy instead of soft.
Dairy Free Sugar Cookie Tips
If you roll the dough very thin, the cookies will be brittle and they’ll tend to break apart. I roll the dough to a thickness of a quarter inch, but you can err on the side of a little thicker if needed (up to 1/3 inch thickness).
If you accidentally roll the dough thinner than a quarter inch, I recommend shaping the dough back into a disk and rolling it out again. While it’s not ideal to roll the dough multiple times, the cookies will come out better this way than if you bake them too thin.
The cookies are done baking after about 8 minutes, or as soon as they’re set. If you bake them for 10 minutes or longer, they’ll likely be crunchy instead of soft.
Sometimes when I roll out the dough for these dairy free sugar cookies, the dough sticks to the surface and I can’t easily pick up the cut out cookies. When this happens, it’s best to re-flour the surface and roll out the dough again.
These gluten free sugar cookies can be made with your favorite gluten free baking mix. You could also use regular flour for this recipe if you’d prefer.
Small Batch Sugar Cookies
This dairy free sugar cookie recipe yields about 30 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. I use cookie cutters that are 2 to 3 inches wide. This is a small batch that can easily be doubled or tripled.
To make the sugar cookie dough ahead of time, you can refrigerate it overnight. Then in the morning, leave the dough on the counter at room temperature for about an hour. This will make it soft enough to roll easily.
Easy Icing Recipe for Sugar Cookies
I like to brush a simple syrup onto these baked, cooled dairy free sugar cookies and sprinkle the decorating sugar onto the cookies before the syrup hardens. This easy icing recipe is a simple combination of water and sugar that’s boiled together to liquify the sugar.
The simple syrup allows the decorating sugar or sprinkles to stick to the cookies. It also gives them a nice flavor and shine. To decorate the cookies with frosting instead of sugar or sprinkles, try one of these naturally colored frosting recipes. This paleo maple frosting is another great option.
To make a batch of sugar cookies without refined sugar, try my maple sugar cookies.
Dairy Free Sugar Cookies
Cookie Dough Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3 tbs water
- Decorating sugar or sprinkles
- In a small bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, mix the melted coconut oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until a uniform dough forms.
- Scrape the dough onto a large piece of wax paper. Shape the dough into 2 disks and wrap it in the wax paper. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator, and refrigerate it for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set the rack in the center of the oven.
- Remove one disk of the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a floured work surface. Roll the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch (any thinner than that will yield crispy cookies). Add a tablespoon of flour to the dough if necessary to roll it out without having the dough stick to the rolling pin.
- Cut the cookies into shapes using 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until the cookies are set. Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven. Continue with the second disk of dough once the first disk is done, but leave the dough in the refrigerator until you’re ready to roll it.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and carefully transfer them to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, make a simple syrup by boiling 2 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of water in a small pot. Stir until the sugar is dissolved (a couple minutes).
- Once the cookies have cooled, brush the cookies one at a time with the simple syrup. Quickly add the sprinkles or decorating sugar to each cookie before the simple syrup solidifies so the decorations will stick.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for later.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Cookies Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $2.87 to make, or $.20 per serving (2 cookies). Try this soft gluten free, dairy free sugar cookie recipe for an allergy-friendly dessert.