This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These gluten free snickerdoodles are perfect for holiday baking. Bring these cookies to a holiday party and they’ll disappear quickly. They’re great for a cookie swap, too!
The holidays wouldn’t be the holidays without all the delicious treats. I love the variety of different cookies that show up during cookie swaps and Christmas gatherings.
We have several Christmas cookie traditions in my family. Pineapple filled cookies, peanut butter chocolate swirl cookies, and maple sugar cookies often make an appearance at my house during the holidays. It’s hard to pick a favorite; they’re all so good.
And then there are these gluten free snickerdoodles. It’s truly challenging for me to each just one snickerdoodle. There’s just something about the flavor that gets me. The cinnamon sugar coating is irresistible.
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles Tips
A hand mixer or stand mixer makes quick work of this gluten free snickerdoodle cookie dough. Mix the ingredients until well-blended and a uniform dough forms.
Shape the dough into one-inch balls, then flatten them slightly. Roll the dough in a combination of cinnamon and sugar, and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet. While the cookies are baking, place the remaining dough in the refrigerator. This will keep the dough firm, which will help avoid flat cookies.
I make my gluten free snickerdoodles using white sugar, but you can substitute pure maple syrup if you’d like. You can also use whole wheat flour (or a combination of white and whole wheat) if you’d prefer. If you do use maple syrup, add a couple extra tablespoons of flour to absorb the additional liquid.
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
For Cookie Dough
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil cooled slightly
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the coconut oil, sugar, and eggs. Add the dry ingredients 1/3 at a time, and mix to incorporate well.
- In a very small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Shape the dough into one-inch balls, flatten slightly, then dip each ball into the cinnamon sugar to coat evenly. Place each cookie on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making 3 rows of 3 cookies each (9 cookies per sheet).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Refrigerate the unbaked cookies while the oven is preheating to keep them from getting too flat in the oven.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until the cookies are set and beginning to crack. Cool on a wire rack.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
This recipe costs a total of $4.79, or $.13 per cookie. These gluten free snickerdoodles are delicious cookies to enjoy during the holidays or any time of year.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2015, and it was republished in 2019.