This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
On a busy night, it can be so tempting to order pizza. The National Association of Pizza Operators reports that approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the United States each year. I definitely believe it. Grabbing slices from the local pizza joint is one of the easiest ways to feed your family. Unfortunately, these slices tend to be loaded with greasy cheese and highly processed toppings like pepperoni. Homemade pizza is a much healthier option for a family dinner.
This month’s Recipe Redux invites members to create healthy homemade pizza recipes. I’m sharing a delicious Mexican Pizza recipe that’s full of flavor without all the grease. Topped with beans, vegetables, and a sprinkling of cheese, this is a great alternative to ordering out. If you like tacos or other Mexican combos, you’ll love this Mexican Pizza. No tipping required!
For the Crust
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
For the Taco Sauce
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
For the Topping
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup cooked pinto or black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar (4 ounces)
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 avocado chopped
- To make the crust, mix together the warm water, yeast, and honey. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add the oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flour and the salt. Add the wet ingredients.
- With a dough hook, beat the mixture until a ball of dough forms. The dough should be well hydrated but not sticky. (It should be almost sticky.) If it’s sticky, add a little more flour. If it seems too dry, add a little more water.
- Divide the dough into four balls. Cover the dough and let it rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a circle 1/8 inch thick and place them on the cookie sheets. Top the dough with the taco sauce, followed by the red pepper, beans, corn, and cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until cheese is melted. If you overcook it, the crust will be dry.
- Sprinkle with scallions, salsa, and avocado. Serve warm.
Mexican Pizza Price Breakdown
This recipe makes 4 individual sized (8-inch) pizzas and it costs a total of $5.84 to make. This comes out to $1.46 per pizza. Mexican Pizza is a delicious twist on the classic, and your family will love it.