This one pot ground beef and cabbage skillet is an easy, healthy dinner recipe. It takes just 15 minutes to make, and it’s surprisingly addictive! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
I don’t know how I’d get by without one pot dinners. More often than not, I lack the time and energy to make something elaborate for dinner. On those nights, this dish is my secret weapon.
I can make this one pot ground beef and cabbage skillet in just 15 minutes. More importantly, my kids enjoy this dish, and they’re actually disappointed if there isn’t enough left in the skillet for seconds.
This dish is my version of the “egg roll in a bowl” phenomenon that’s become popular in low-carb circles. Some people call this meal “crack slaw,” and I can see why. It does have an addictive flavor that you wouldn’t expect from such a humble list of ingredients. The sauce is so good, and you can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your tastes. My family likes it with a little kick.
My secret to getting this dish just right is to turn off the burner after adding the cabbage and carrot. You just want to wilt the cabbage without destroying all its crunchiness. Serve it immediately for the best texture, although the leftovers are delicious, too. You can add a little rice if you want to stretch this dish, although it’s already pretty affordable at $1.30 per serving.
One Pot Ground Beef and Cabbage
- 2/3 lb ground beef
- 2 tbs sesame oil divided
- 2 tbs tamari
- 2 tsp hot sauce to taste
- 1 tbs coconut sugar (or other sweetener, optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage 3/4 lb
- 3 carrots grated
- Pour ½ tbs sesame oil into a large skillet. Brown the ground beef, stirring continuously to break it up while it’s cooking.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1½ tbs sesame oil, tamari, coconut sugar, hot sauce, garlic powder, ginger powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large skillet, after the beef is cooked through, place the sliced cabbage and grated carrot on the cooked beef. Pour the sauce on top and stir. Cover the skillet and turn off the heat. Leave it for 5 minutes, or until the cabbage has wilted to your preferred texture. Serve warm.
One Pot Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $5.20 to make, or $1.30 per serving. Try this delicious ground beef and cabbage skillet for an easy dinner that your family will love.
Visit my round up of 60 healthy frugal dinner recipes to find more ideas for your next meal plan.