Potato Leek Soup
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This easy recipe for potato leek soup is a delicious way to enjoy fall and winter vegetables. It’s kid-friendly and adults love it too.
Potatoes and leeks work so well together in this simple, delicious soup. This is one of the easiest soup recipes you’ll see, with just four ingredients. My eyes light up when I see leeks in my farm share, and this soup is never far behind. I adapted the potato leek soup recipe from Joy of Cooking to come up with this version that my family loves.
Potato Leek Soup
- 1 tbs bacon fat, butter, or olive oil (bacon fat adds a great flavor)
- 3 large leeks thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cups broth
- Melt the bacon fat in a large pot.
- Place the leeks in the pot and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. If they start to turn brown, add a tablespoon of water.
- Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Taste it and add a little salt if needed.
- Serve warm. You can garnish it with croutons, sliced leeks, scallions, chives, bacon bits, and/or other green herbs.
Potato Leek Soup Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $3.55 and it yields 8 cups of soup. This comes out to $.59 per serving. Enjoy this easy potato leek soup with a salad for a light dinner.
My stuffed cabbage casserole is another great way to enjoy leeks.
This sounds perfect! I love leeks and potatoes! YUMMM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂
Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!
See you at the link up this week!
Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
I adore potato and leek soup! The recipe I use I adapted from one in a Sicilian Soups cookbook. I usually make it with a little bit of extra cream and add a little bit of lemon juice for some kick. The bacon fat sounds so great, though- I’m going to try this version and see what I think!
Thanks, Sarah. The lemon juice sounds great – I’ll try that next time.
Love potato leek soup – my kids don’t always though. Some of my children do not love mashed potatoes. I make a similar recipe but use cauliflower instead of potato. All the kids love it as do my husband and I. I add a small bit of flour to the bacon fat and leeks – add some broth or milk to thicken the soup base. Then add cauliflower. Blend and ready to go.
Sounds delicious, Margaret! I wish my children would eat cauliflower. I’ll have to work on that.