These coconut bars are the perfect combination of chocolate and coconut. I’ve been tinkering with a coconut bar recipe from Elana’s Pantry for the last few months. My husband and I both agreed that chocolate needed to find its way into the recipe somehow, and Elana’s bars came out a bit more custard-like than we wanted. This version is a delicious, healthy treat that tastes decadent.
Coconut Bars with Chocolate Drizzle Recipe
Ingredients for the bars:
¼ cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour, gluten-free flour, or white whole wheat flour
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the almond flour and coconut to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it is set and the top begins to brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 16 bars.
Ingredients for the chocolate drizzle:
1 tbs. coconut oil
3 tbs. maple syrup
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I use Baker’s Chocolate)
- Coursely chop the unsweetened chocolate.
- In a double boiler, combine all three ingredients and heat until melted. Stir them until well combined.
- Let the chocolate cool and solidify a bit. With a spoon, drizzle the chocolate onto the cooled bars.
This recipe makes 16 bars (1 inch x 4 inch). It contains some pricier ingredients, including maple syrup ($2.56 per cup), almond flour ($.80 per cup), and shredded coconut ($1.25 per cup). Making this with white sugar and some white flour would bring down the price, but also the quality.
Even with these higher-end ingredients, the total cost of this recipe is $6.96, or $.44 per bar. When compared to a Larabar, with its shelf price of $1.25, these coconut bars are actually a bargain!
This is part of Real Food Free for All, Traditional Tuesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Day2Day Joys, Fight Back Friday, Allergy Friendly Friday, Simple Lives Thursday, Make Your Own Monday, Monday Mania, Ingredient Spotlight.