This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I love cranberry season. There’s just something about those tart little berries. The cranberry harvest is a big deal here in Massachusetts, so I always like to cook up some cranberry goodies for my family during the fall.
Sweet coffee cake isn’t something I normally keep on hand in my house. But when I saw this recipe for Cranberry Apple Coffee Cake from Eating Well, I knew I had to have it. I made a few changes to make this recipe my own. My version uses whole grain flour and maple syrup instead of sugar for a slightly healthier twist.
The flavor of this cake is amazing. The fruity topping is perfect for fall, and the lemon zest adds just the right zing to the cake. This is sweeter than most of my recipes, but this cake is worth it as it celebrates two of my favorite fall crops.
Cranberry Apple Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled apples 1/2 lb.
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup whole milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- Prepare the topping by placing all the topping ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to thicken the mixture. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, coconut oil, lemon zest, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then add half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and milk. Mix well, then transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Spread the topping evenly over the batter without stirring it into the batter.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Don't let the cake bake for too long, or it will be dry. Let the cake cool before cutting.
Cranberry Apple Coffee Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.69 to make, or $.85 per piece. Try this Cranberry Apple Coffee Cake for a healthy treat that celebrates the fall harvest.