This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Instant Pot pinto beans and rice recipe is such an easy one to make for a quick meal. I love having a batch on hand for healthy lunches throughout the week.
Lunchtime can be tricky. When I’m in the middle of my workday, it can be challenging to have to stop what I’m doing and make something for lunch. And during busy times of year, my husband ends up eating out at lunchtime a couple days a week. This expense can really add up. It helps our work schedules and food budget when I can make a big batch of something that will last for several days.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is about using ingredients we already have on hand in the pantry. The beginning of spring is a great time for cleaning out the cabinets, so this Redux challenge comes at the perfect time of year.
This recipe for Instant Pot pinto beans and rice includes brown rice, refried beans, and pintos beans. These are three frugal ingredients that I often have stocked in my kitchen. The recipe makes 12 servings, so my husband and I can eat it for days and days. The leftovers freeze well too, so I try to hide a few servings in the freezer for a busy night’s dinner.
Instant Pot Beans and Rice Tips
I love the simple flavors and textures in this recipe. It’s pretty mild, so you may want to add extra chipotle peppers or other seasonings if you like spicy dishes.
You can top this with cheese or meat, but I prefer it just like this. It’s a simple, healthy vegetarian meal that takes just minutes to put together. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, just cook the rice how you usually cook it and stir in the remaining ingredients as described.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Rice
- 3 cups brown rice rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups broth or water
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbs diced chipotle in adobo
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 14 oz can refried beans
- 14 oz can pinto beans
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 3 scallions chopped
- 2 avocados sliced
- Cilantro for serving
- Place the rice in the Instant Pot and add the broth or water. (Season with salt to taste if you're using water.) Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 24 minutes. Let the rice sit for 5 minutes after the cook time is over, then release the pressure and open the pot.
- Add the taco seasoning, chipotle, lime juice, maple syrup, and refried beans to the rice. Stir to combine well. Then add the pinto beans, red pepper, corn, and scallions to the pot.
- Close the top and let the mixture sit for a couple minutes to warm everything up.
- Season with salt if desired. Serve in bowls and top with avocado and cilantro.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Rice Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $9.59 to make, or $.80 per serving (1 1/3 cups each). Try this Instant Pot beans and rice recipe for an easy, satisfying, frugal meal.
Pin it here: