This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These roasted kale chips are so delicious! Learn how to bake kale chips in the oven with just 3 ingredients for a healthy snack or side dish.
Kale is a regular staple in my farm share. I love using it in salads and smoothies for a quick burst of nutrition. Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods, so it’s a great thing to add to your rotation.
Roasted kale chips are another easy way to enjoy this green veggie. Their crispy texture reminds me of potato chips. Kids may be more likely to eat kale in this form than in its raw form since the vegetable flavor mellows when the kale is roasted.
How to Bake Kale Chips
Roasted kale chips are so easy to make. Simply top the kale with a little oil and salt, then place it in a single layer on a baking sheet.
The key is to bake them at a low temperature. I roast them at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes, watching them carefully. If they’re overcooked, they’ll turn brown and bitter. Remove them as soon as they start to get dried out and crispy.
Types of Kale
Kale comes in many varieties. I find that thinner kale leaves make better roasted kale chips. Very large, thick kale takes a bit longer to get crispy, so adjust the cooking time if needed.
Try my easy kale salad for another great way to enjoy this veggie.
Roasted Kale Chips
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash the kale and break it up into large pieces if needed.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and add the olive oil. With your hands, mix it up so the oil is covering all the leaves. Sprinkle with the salt, and mix again with your hands.
- Place the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet. If you have a large bunch, you’ll need 2 baking sheets.
- Bake the kale for about 10 to 12 minutes. Start checking on it at 5 minutes, and keep peeking in the oven every couple minutes after that. Once the kale starts to darken a bit, taste a piece and see if it’s crunchy yet. If it’s still chewy, let it keep cooking. Don’t let it turn brown, though.
- Serve immediately.
Roasted Kale Chips Price Breakdown
This batch of kale chips costs $1.68, or $.28 per serving. It’s a great healthy alternative to potato chips, and it goes well next to a sandwich for a filling lunch.
Note: This recipe was first published in 2012, and it was updated in 2019.