This mango chicken tortilla skillet is an easy, one dish meal that’s so full of flavor! Everyone will love this healthy, gluten-free dinner recipe.
We have a Mexican dish in our meal plan just about every week. It’s one category of food that everyone in my family can agree on, so it makes for an easy, no-stress dinner. Somehow the taco seasoning masks the things my kids typically complain about, so I go through a lot of it.
This mango chicken tortilla skillet is a delicious variation on our typical taco night spread. I love the tangy flavor of tomatillos in this dish, and the mango adds just the right amount of sweetness. By cooking the chicken in small, bite-sized pieces, I can get this meal on the table in less than 20 minutes. It doesn’t get any easier than that in my house!
For a dairy-free version, you can omit the cheese. It’s perfectly flavored without it, but some members of my family think cheese is essential to a good Mexican dinner. And if you can’t find tomatillos, substitute a little salsa verde.
Mango Chicken Tortilla Skillet
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 tomatillos chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- Cilantro for garnish
- ½ cup grated cheese optional
- In a large skillet, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium low heat for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the chopped tomatillos and red pepper. Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover the skillet and cook for another minute to reduce the liquid if needed. Add the taco seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for several minutes, stirring continuously. When the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink), add the chopped mango and cook briefly. Add the tortilla chips and top with grated cheddar and cilantro.
- Serve warm.
Mango Chicken Tortilla Skillet Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $7.33 to make, or $1.83 per serving. Try this mango chicken tortilla skillet for an easy, family-friendly dinner recipe on a busy night.