This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I’ve been seeing these all over Pinterest lately. I love all things potato (Irish girl here), so I’m always excited to try a new spin on this humble veggie.
My brother and sister-in-law made a version of these over the holidays, and I could have eaten the whole platter. They were so good.
I put together this easy recipe for smashed potatoes to make a side dish that works with many types of meals. You can season them with any fresh herbs you like, and adjust the salt and onion powder to suit your tastes. Cook them a little longer if you want them extra crispy. You really can’t mess these up.
- 2 lbs small red or white potatoes approx. 2-inch diameter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 scallions chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil the potatoes until fork-tender. Transfer the cooked potatoes to 2 baking sheets. You may want to let them cool a bit, then smash each potato gently with a spatula to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- In a small bowl, stir together the salt and onion powder. Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes, then sprinkle half the salt mixture over the potatoes (save the other half for later). Break apart the rosemary from its stalk and sprinkle it over the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes for 10 minutes on each side. When you flip them, sprinkle the remaining salt/onion powder mixture over them.
- Transfer the roasted potatoes to a serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve warm.
Smashed Potatoes Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $2.64 to make, or $.33 per serving. These Smashed Potatoes are a delicious, easy, versatile side dish that will take your dinner to the next level.
I love smashed potatoes too! I also add garlic powder and butter. 🙂
You’ll have to come over to my house and show me your smashing technique 🙂 These look absolutely perfect!!