This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This turkey shepherd’s pie is a healthy, portable dinner for evenings on the go. The hearty filling sits inside a simple mashed potato crust.
As we continue through Little League season here in New England, I keep looking for new ways to put together single-serve meals that are appealing to the children and adults in my house. It’s so helpful when I have something portable and healthy that we can have for dinner when we’re running in multiple directions during the evening.
One of our favorites is turkey shepherd’s pie, which includes vegetables, starch, and meat all in one dish. The filling sits in a simple mashed potato crust for a hearty, delicious meal. This is great comfort food that can be a make-ahead meal for a busy night.
Upside Down Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- 2 lb red potatoes peeled
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 small head broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 8 ramekins (mine are 4 inches in diameter and 2 inches high).
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water. Transfer the potatoes to the bowl of stand mixer and add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Mash the potatoes and broth in the mixer until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mashed potatoes evenly among the ramekins (about 1/2 cup potatoes per ramekin). Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture up the sides of the bowls and along the bottom.
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey over medium heat. Remove the turkey from the pan, and add the broccoli and carrots to the pan. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup broth over them, and cook over medium heat (covered) for a couple minutes, until they start to soften. Add the corn and the cooked turkey to the skillet. Season the mixture with the parsley, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, fill each potato crust with the meat/veggie filling. Bake for 5 minutes to heat everything back up, then serve warm.
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie Price Breakdown
The ingredients for this meal cost a total of $7.54, or $.94 per serving. Try this delicious turkey shepherd’s pie for delicious family dinner.