This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This zucchini grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious gluten-free, lower carb recipe for lunch or dinner. The zucchini egg bake and sharp cheddar give this gluten free grilled cheese the most amazing flavor!
Disclosure: I was asked to participate in this campaign with Cabot Creamery as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time.
Sandwiches have always been one of my favorite things to have for a quick meal. But since I have a gluten sensitivity, it can be tricky to find the right bread for a sandwich. I love my millet flax bread, but I don’t always have time to make a batch.
This zucchini grilled cheese features a unique bread made from a base of eggs and zucchini. A little gluten-free flour gives it some structure. This is a cross between a thin frittata and a zucchini pancake.
The zucchini “bread” comes together quickly, and it’s so simple to make. With all that gooey melted cheddar in the middle, you’ll never miss the traditional bread in this recipe.
Zucchini Grilled Cheese Tips
To prepare the zucchini base, strain the zucchini before adding it to the batter. It doesn’t need to be strained completely, but you’ll want to remove some of the water so the batter isn’t too wet.
Bake the base until it’s set and the bottom has turned brown. Cut it into rectangles, and return the sandwiches to the oven to melt the cheese. You can eat this zucchini grilled cheese with a knife and fork, or pick it right up with your hands.
For any grilled cheese, you want a sharp, flavorful cheese. I like the Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar. It’s not too sharp for my kids’ tastes, but it has a nice strong flavor. It also melts really well.
Cabot cheeses are minimally processed, made with simply milk, salt, and cheese-making cultures. I love their simple ingredients lists. I also appreciate that all the Cabot cheddar varieties are lactose-free, so even those of us with lactose intolerance can enjoy them.
Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- 1 lb zucchini grated (2 medium zucchinis)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbs fresh chives finely diced
- 8 oz Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and line a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Grate the zucchini by hand or with a food processor. Place it in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and line it with a thin kitchen towel. Put the zucchini in the strainer and let it sit for a few minutes. Then wrap the towel with the zucchini into a ball, and squeeze to absorb some of the excess water. Place the wrapped ball of zucchini in the strainer, and let it continue to drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine well. Then stir in the strained zucchini and the chives.
- Spread the zucchini mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan on the parchment paper. The batter will be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes, until it’s set on the surface and it’s beginning to turn brown at the edges.
- Leave the oven set at 425 degrees, and remove the pan from the oven. Lift the parchment paper to remove the zucchini “bread” to a cutting board. Cut the zucchini mixture into 8 pieces. (Cut in half the long way, then cut the top and bottom sections in quarters.)
- Cut an 8 ounce block of cheddar in half. Then cut each half into 4 slices. Place 4 pieces of the zucchini bread back in the pan, and top them with the cheese (2 slices of cheese on each zucchini base). Place the remaining 4 zucchini sections on top of each sandwich, and return them to the oven. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Gluten Free Grilled Cheese Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $6.21 to make, or $1.55 per serving. Try this zucchini grilled cheese for a fun, delicious way to eat your veggies.