This is such a beautiful and delicious dessert. My daughter and I had a girls’ night together and she wanted to have a special dinner. She wasn’t sure what she wanted other than pepperoni, cheese, and crackers. We went to Pinterest and I told her she could pick out something that looked good. This is a dangerous move, I know. But I was relieved when she got excited about a picture of fruit pizza.
Rather than use the traditional sugar cookie crust and cream cheese frosting, I came up with this not-too-sweet version that is gluten-free and dairy-free. We will definitely be making this again during the summer.
Ingredients for crust:
¾ cup gluten-free flour
1½ cups rolled oats
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
1-2 tbs. water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the brown rice flour and the oats in a food processor and mix to make a flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the water and mix to combine. Gradually add the water until the dough comes together.
- On a greased cookie sheet, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the ball of dough and roll it into the shape of a circle.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until it starts to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Ingredients for frosting (adapted from kittycooks):
7 oz. package of Creamed Coconut (only ingredient is coconut)
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup maple syrup
- Soak the coconut in the hot water for a few minutes, then break it into chunks.
- Place the coconut/water mixture in a food processor and add the maple syrup. Mix until a smooth frosting forms.
- Frost the crust once it is cool.
Ingredients for fruit topping:
1 pint blackberries
1 pint sliced strawberries
A few chunks of mango
Make a design with the fruit on top of the frosting. You can substitute any fruits you like. Enjoy immediately, as it doesn’t taste as good the next day.
This recipe costs $6.56 to make, or $.82 per serving. Fruit pizza is a delicious, unique dessert that will impress a crowd.