I’ve finally come up with a homemade, whole wheat pizza crust that my children enjoy.
They used to complain when I made homemade pizza, but now they fight for the last piece. They prefer it with a simple pizza sauce, grated mozzarella, and maybe a little pineapple or mushroom on top. I like to pile on the vegetables, so I usually make a few different pizza variations to please everyone’s tastes.
This roasted vegetable topping is unique and flavorful, and it’s a great way to use up the bounty that comes from my winter farm share. You can swap out some of the veggies for whatever you have on hand.
Ingredients for the Topping
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped parsnips
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Grated mozzarella to taste
Ingredients for the Crust
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 9 x 13 glass pan, stir together all the topping ingredients except the mozzarella. Roast the vegetables for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. When all the vegetables are tender, remove them from the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- To make the crust, mix together the warm water, yeast, and honey. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add the oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flour and the salt. Add the wet ingredients.
- With a dough hook, beat the mixture until a ball of dough forms. The dough should be well hydrated but not sticky. (It should be almost sticky.) If it’s sticky, add a little more flour. If it seems too dry, add a little more water.
- Divide the dough into 3 evenly sized balls. Cover the dough and let it rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze two of the dough balls for future use.
- Roll out the remaining ball of dough into a circle 1/4 inch thick. Top the dough with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle the mozzarella on top of that.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
Vegetable Pizza Price Breakdown
The cost of this pizza is $3.06, or $.38 per slice. This recipe also yields two extra crusts for another time, and the cost per crust is $.63. This roasted vegetable pizza is a great twist on a classic meal.