Fall is here, so it’s pumpkin time in my house. I’ve been perfecting this pumpkin cake for years. It’s one of my favorite treats in the fall, and I can feel good about eating it. I find that pumpkin recipes don’t need nearly as much oil or added moisture as other baked goods because the pureed pumpkin is so moist. This recipe uses gluten-free flour, but it also works well with white whole wheat flour. Frosting is optional, and I think the cake tastes great with or without the frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Ingredients for the Icing:
¼ cup palm oil shortening or softened butter
2 tbs. solid coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbs. milk (I use rice milk)
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and mix until well-combined and smooth.
- When the cake has completely cooled, spread the icing in a thin layer on the cake. If you want a thick layer of frosting, double the recipe.
Pumpkin Cake Price Breakdown
This cake costs $7.16 to make, or $.45 per piece. This pumpkin cakes uses lots of healthy ingredients, so you can feel good about serving it to your family.