Fall is here, so it’s pumpkin time in my house. I’ve been perfecting this pumpkin cake for years. It’s one of my favorite treats in the fall, and I can feel good about eating it. I find that pumpkin recipes don’t need nearly as much oil or added moisture as other baked goods because the pureed pumpkin is so moist. This recipe uses gluten-free flour, but it also works well with white whole wheat flour.
Ingredients for the Cake:
1¾ cup gluten-free flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup maple syrup
1/3 cup applesauce
15 ounces pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Ingredients for the Icing:
¼ cup palm oil shortening or softened butter
2 tbs. solid coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbs. milk (I use rice milk)
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and mix until well-combined and smooth.
- When the cake has completely cooled, spread the icing on the cake. I used this fun Nordic Ware Frosting Toolthat I recently bought.
This cake costs $7.16 to make, or $.45 per piece. If I were to use white flour, white sugar, and canola oil, the cake would be cheaper. But even to a bargain mama like me, $.45 isn’t a lot for a piece of cake, especially when it gives me peace of mind knowing I’m feeding my family a great, real food treat. (Yes, I do leave a few pieces for my family to eat.)
Linking to Traditional Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Eat Make Grow, DIY Thrifty Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Gluten-Free Friday, Fit and Fabulous Friday, Foodie Friday, Snacktime Saturday, Show and Tell Saturday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania.
This post contains an affiliate link.