These gluten free blueberry banana muffins are a delicious, healthy snack. Fresh blueberries and ripe bananas give this recipe the best flavor!
I bake with bananas all the time. I’m always happy to see ripe bananas in my fruit bowl because there are so many ways to use them. My blender banana bread is a family favorite.
When I see fresh blueberries on sale, I love to make a batch of these gluten free blueberry banana muffins. They’re so soft and flavorful, nobody misses the gluten in these little goodies.
Blueberry Muffin Recipe Tips
Banana muffins require less added sweetener than other types of muffins because the bananas are already so sweet. This recipe only needs a third cup of maple syrup along with the ripe bananas.
Sometimes when you make blueberry muffins, the batter turns a greenish-blue color. To avoid this discoloration, coat the blueberries with a tablespoon of flour. This keeps them from bleeding into the batter.
This is my gluten-free version, but you can also make these with white whole wheat flour. I recommend adding a little extra mashed banana if you use wheat flour so the muffins don’t come out dry.
Gluten Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (plus an extra tablespoon for dusting the berries)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas (mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk (I use coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed banana, eggs, milk, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, coat the blueberries with the additional tablespoon of flour. Then gently fold the blueberries into the muffin batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan, filling each muffin opening about 2/3 of the way. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are set and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (It's better to undercook them a little than to overcook them.)
- Cool on a wire rack. Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days, or freeze them for later.
Blueberry Banana Muffins Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.59 to make, or $.47 per muffin. Try these easy gluten free blueberry banana muffins when you see fresh blueberries on sale.
Note: This post was originally published in 2012. It was updated in 2019.