This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This lemon broccoli pasta is a quick, easy dinner recipe that’s healthy, too. Best of all, this one dish meal costs just over $1 per serving!
One dish recipes are my favorite easy weeknight dinners. There’s no need to figure out side dishes on a busy night, and cleanup is easy with a one pot meal. I love to include a big one pot dinner on my weekly meal plan that can feed my family for multiple nights.
This lemon broccoli pasta is a delicious, simple recipe to put on the table for dinner. If you walk through the door at 5:30, you can be eating this meal by 6:00. The flavorful lemon sauce mixes well with the savory sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan. This dish is a welcome change from the typical pasta dinner. The taste is light and refreshing.
Step by Step Instructions for this Lemon Broccoli Pasta Recipe
Step 1: Cook the Pasta
Boil the pasta according to the package directions (I recommend al dente texture). Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Broccoli
Pour ¼ cup of water into a large skillet. Add the broccoli to the skillet, cover it, and bring the water to a simmer. Steam the broccoli over medium high heat, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it’s just starting to soften. Remove the top and cook over medium heat for another minute to remove most of the water.
Step 3: Add the Lemon Broccoli Pasta Sauce Ingredients
Add the olive oil and the sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, lemon zest, and maple syrup to the skillet. Stir everything together and cook for another minute.
Step 4: Mix in Pasta
Add the pasta to the skillet, stir, and heat over medium low for 30 seconds to combine the flavors. Stir in the pine nuts and grated parmesan. Sprinkle with salt and add an extra drizzle of lemon juice if desired.
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
I use regular penne in this lemon broccoli pasta, but any pasta will work with this recipe. Gluten-free pasta or whole wheat noodles are delicious in this dish, too.
Try to cut the broccoli into evenly sized florets. I like to cut them on the smaller size, about an inch or less. This allows the broccoli to cook quickly, and it keeps the broccoli flavor from overpowering the recipe.
This pasta can be served on its own for a light dinner. Add crusty garlic bread and a side salad for a heartier meal, and feel free to add cooked chicken or tofu for additional protein.
Yes, this pasta recipe can be easily adapted to dairy-free and vegan. Simply omit the parmesan cheese and substitute it with nutritional yeast to taste.
Leftovers of this lemon broccoli pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. They can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. Heat for about a minute in the microwave in single-serving portions. On the stovetop, add a tablespoon of oil to a medium skillet, and heat over medium heat until warm, stirring frequently.
Lemon Broccoli Pasta
- 12 ounces pasta (about 8 cups cooked)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (6 ounces)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1½ tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs pine nuts
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of water until al dente (or desired texture) according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Pour ¼ cup of water into a large skillet. Add the broccoli to the skillet, cover it, and steam the broccoli over medium high heat for 1 minute. Remove the top and cook over medium heat for another minute to remove most of the water.
- Add the olive oil and the sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, lemon zest, and maple syrup to the skillet. Stir everything together and cook for another minute.
- Add the pasta to the skillet, stir, and heat over medium low for 30 seconds to combine the flavors.
- Stir in the pine nuts and grated parmesan. Sprinkle with salt and add an extra drizzle of lemon juice if desired.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Lemon Broccoli Pasta Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $6.35 to make, or $1.06 per serving. Lemon broccoli pasta is a delicious, one-dish recipe that goes on the table quickly and satisfies kids and adults alike.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2014, and it was updated is 2022.