This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This chocolate peanut butter ice cream is an amazingly delicious dessert. And it’s a healthy recipe, too!
Homemade ice cream is one of my favorite summer treats.
I do like going out for ice cream with my family on occasion, but there’s just something special about making it yourself. Unlike at an ice cream shop, the flavor possibilities are endless. You can make whatever kind you want and invent flavors that haven’t been dreamed up before.
It takes great patience as you wait for the ice cream to solidify in the freezer. It feels like an eternity. But then, it’s finally ready. And it’s so creamy, so good.
I can’t imagine summer without homemade ice cream.
This chocolate peanut butter ice cream is adapted from a recipe in the Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. We’re big Ben & Jerry’s fans, as my husband grew up in their hometown of Burlington, VT. We visited the Ben & Jerry’s factory this summer, where we got to sample a new experimental flavor. Their ice cream is so rich and creamy, and the recipes in the book are simple to recreate with an ice cream maker at home.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler. Whisk in the cocoa powder, then gradually whisk in the milk. Keep whisking until well combined. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for 2 minutes, then add the maple syrup and mix until combined. Stir in the cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl and stir to combine the flavors.
- Remove one cup of the mixture to a bowl, and stir in the peanut butter. Add this chocolate peanut butter mixture back to the rest of the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker from a pouring-friendly container and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for at least 2 to 3 hours. This tastes best the day it’s made.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.65, or $.94 per serving. Treat yourself and your family to some homemade chocolate peanut butter ice cream before the summer is over.