This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These single-portion macaroni and cheese muffins are a great healthy dinner for evenings on the go. They’re quick and easy to make.
With Little League season upon us, my family dinner schedule is turned upside down. My son needs to be on the baseball field from 5:15 until 7:30 or 8:00 two nights a week, which is a challenge for a family that usually eats dinner together around the table at 5:30.
I am determined to feed everyone real food on these crazy nights despite the scheduling challenge. On some nights, my son will need to eat in the car on the way to the field, and he’ll be hungry again for something on the way home. I have several portable meals planned, but I’d love to hear suggestions if anyone has ideas that I can add to my “in the car” meal plan.
Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
This recipe is for macaroni and cheese muffins with vegetables in the middle. It’s a meal all rolled up into one little muffin.
My husband thinks it’s a bit cruel to hide the vegetables like a prize in the middle (“Surprise! Broccoli and peas!”), but the children do enjoy them. The macaroni and cheese is adapted from the Joy of Cooking.
If you want to serve these muffins right out of the oven, I recommend lining the muffin pan with silicone muffin cups. This way, you can serve them in the silicone cups and they won’t fall apart.
Otherwise, cook these ahead of time and let them cool completely before removing them from the muffin pan. This will allow them to hold their shape. Transfer the muffins to the refrigerator or freezer, then reheat them when you’re ready to serve.
Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
- 2 cups whole grain macaroni
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or more, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen peas no need to defrost
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-muffin pan or use paper liners.
- Boil the macaroni according to the package instructions.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk together over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the milk to the butter and flour. Whisk constantly for about 5 minutes over medium heat until it begins to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and stir in most of the cheese and all the macaroni. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Fill each muffin cup with 2 tablespoons of the macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Add a layer of broccoli or peas to each one.
- On top of the vegetables, fill in each muffin tin with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture and sprinkle paprika and the remaining cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until muffins are just starting to turn brown on top.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Macaroni and Cheese Muffins Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $2.81 to make, or $.23 each. Macaroni and cheese muffins are a fun lunch or dinner for kids on the go.