This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These soaked brownies are a healthy chocolate dessert. This recipe is easier to digest than most because of a couple tricks with the ingredients.
There are so many wonderful recipes out there for brownies. I used to make them with white flour and sugar, but they didn’t exactly qualify as real food.
I’ve put together several healthier versions of brownies so we can still enjoy them. This version of soaked brownies uses soaked white whole wheat flour for the grain and maple syrup and banana for the sweetener.
This recipe isn’t gluten-free or dairy-free, but I use a couple tricks to make the gluten and dairy easier to digest. By soaking the flour overnight in vinegar water, the gluten partially breaks down so it doesn’t present such a complicated project for the digestive system.
Instead of traditional butter, I use ghee. This is clarified butter, where the milk solids are separated out from the rest of the butter. The milk solids contain casein, which is a protein in dairy products that’s difficult for many people to digest. Those of us with dairy sensitivities don’t usually have a problem with ghee, so we can enjoy that buttery taste and texture that’s crucial in some recipes.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup water plus 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 a banana mashed
- 1/2 cup melted ghee cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a medium bowl, soak the flour in the vinegar water for 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, banana, ghee, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the soaked flour to the large bowl and stir to fully combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the 9 x 9 inch pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and cut into 9 squares.
Soaked Brownies Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $2.82 to make, or $.31 per brownie. That’s a great price for a treat you can feel good about giving to your children.