Vanilla Almond Popcorn
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is near and dear to my heart: healthy travel snacks.
I’m someone who’s hungry throughout the day, so when I’m on the road I need to plan ahead to make sure there’s nutritious food available along the way. As a parent, I also need to think about my children’s nutritional needs while we’re traveling. Our food principles relax a bit when we’re on vacation, but I still like to focus on healthy food most of the time we’re away so we can maintain a strong energy level and get the most out of our vacation. I recently posted my 10 tips for getting real food on the road.
One of the easiest whole grain snacks to make is popcorn, and I have many flavored popcorns in my arsenal, including fiesta popcorn, chocolate popcorn, maple gingerbread popcorn, and pumpkin popcorn. This sweet vanilla almond popcorn is a good road trip snack because the almonds add a bit of protein. For a bigger protein boost, you can mix in some whole almonds to make a basic trail mix. Sweetened by dates, this recipe contains nothing but healthy ingredients to keep you feeling your best while you’re traveling.
Vanilla Almond Popcorn
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 2 Medjool dates
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. almonds
- 1 tbs. water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Pop the popcorn. I use this air popper, but you can use whatever method you like.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut oil, dates, vanilla, almonds, and water. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the popcorn with the sauce. Transfer to a large roasting pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. The popcorn is done when all the pieces are no longer soggy.
- Cool on a wire rack, then store in an air-tight container.
Vanilla Almond Popcorn Price Breakdown
This recipe yields about 13 cups of popcorn and costs a total of $1.19, or $.20 per 2-cup serving. Vanilla almond popcorn is a healthy, delicious snack to take with you on the road or pack in your child’s lunchbox.
I absolutely love this idea! I make popcorn for a snack all the time, but I never thought to use coconut oil for a little added flavor! And the almonds are perfect for an extra crunch, thanks for a great recipe!
Thank you, Lauren! I love making flavored popcorn for my kids (and myself!). Even if the snack cabinet is empty, as long as we have popcorn kernels, we’re good to go.