This gluten free carrot cake recipe is a delicious treat full of carrots and walnuts. Serve this healthy recipe for a fun dessert at Easter or any time of year.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is root vegetable recipes. Carrots are the one root vegetable that we always have on hand in my house. Whether raw or baked into a yummy treat, my family loves this humble veggie.
Carrot cake is one of my favorites, so I put together this gluten free carrot cake recipe. It’s so easy to make, and the flavor is amazing. This cake is healthy enough to eat at breakfast or snack time. The cream cheese frosting elevates it to a delicious dessert that you could serve for a special occasion like Easter or a birthday. You can double the recipe to make 2 layer cakes if you’re serving a crowd.
For a dairy-free version of this cake, replace the melted butter with coconut oil and skip the frosting. Either way, it’s a delicious treat that celebrates carrots in all their glory.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup diced walnuts
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbs. butter, softened
- 3 tbs. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir well, then add the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in the carrots and walnuts.
- Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before removing the cake from the baking pan.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting. Be sure the cream cheese and butter are well softened. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the cream cheese and butter until combined. Slowly add the maple syrup and vanilla extract while beating the mixture. Continue to mix until light and fluffy. You’ll need to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake, and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.26, or $.81 per serving. Try this delicious gluten free carrot cake for a decadent, healthy dessert!
Thanks to Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting this Sunday Supper! Check out all the other fabulous root vegetable recipes from the group below.
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement