This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Here’s the deal with overnight oats. By soaking the ingredients together overnight, you don’t need to do anything in the morning other than grab the jar of oats and get a spoon. You may want to heat the oats briefly on the stove if you prefer them warm, but that takes a lot less time than fully cooking the oats. Any time I can save a few minutes in the groggy haze of morning, I do it.
These healthy chocolate overnight oats are quick, easy, and delicious. Make this recipe in the evening, and you’ll have no excuse to skip breakfast on a busy morning. My husband likes to take overnight oats to work ahead of time for the mornings he rides his bike to work. Breakfast is ready and waiting for him when he gets to the office.
Chocolate Overnight Oats Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk or other milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs finely diced dates or 1 tbs date paste
- 1 tbs maple syrup or to taste
- Chocolate chips and cherries for garnish optional
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats and cocoa powder. In a measuring cup, combine the coconut milk, vanilla extract, dates, and maple syrup. Pour the ingredients from the measuring cup over the oats, and stir to coat evenly. Taste the mixture to see if it needs more maple syrup, and adjust as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. I love these flip-top jars.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. Garnish with fruit.
- These chocolate overnight oats will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Overnight Oats Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.29 to make using homemade coconut milk, or $.43 per serving. The cost per serving is about the same if you’re using cow’s milk. Either way, these chocolate overnight oats make an easy, delicious, affordable breakfast that tastes like a treat!
Don’t miss my roundup of 10 healthy overnight oats recipes for other ideas about how to flavor your breakfast. There are so many different ways to go with this easy morning meal.