This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are a delicious summer treat. Try this refreshing summer dessert recipe for a snack on a hot day.
Ice cream sandwiches are such a classic summer treat. I have a recipe on the blog for ice cream sandwiches that included gluten and dairy, and this is my version of gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches.
You can use any dairy-free ice cream or sorbet, but I do love the combination of cherries and chocolate. I personally think the gluten-free sandwich bases taste better than the wheat version, but they’re both delicious. Enjoy this healthy, refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
Ice Cream Sandwiches (GF, DF)
Ingredients for the Sandwich Base
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Ingredients for the Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups cherries chopped finely
- 1 3/4 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 ripe banana mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 8×8 inch pans.
- Combine the wet ingredients for the sandwich base in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine well.
- Transfer the sandwich base mixture to the greased pans. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the sandwich base is set and the edges are pulling away from the sides a bit. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the sandwich bases are cooling, combine the ice cream ingredients in a blender or food processor. Once they're well-combined, taste the mixture to see if it's sweet enough. This will depend on the sweetness of your cherries and banana. Add a bit more maple syrup if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and mix according to the manufacturer’s directions. I use the ice cream attachment that goes with my Kitchen Aid mixer.
- After the ice cream is churned, it should have the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Place one of the sandwich bases (top side down) on a piece of plastic wrap and spread the ice cream evenly on it. You'll have to move quickly so it doesn't get too runny.
- Put the other sandwich base on top of the ice cream (top side up) and wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours to let it solidify. Remove from the freezer and cut it in half. Then, cut each section into 6 sandwiches for a total of 12 sandwiches. Enjoy immediately or wrap the sandwiches individually and return them to the freezer.
Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches Price Breakdown
The total cost of this recipe is $8.49, with the ice cream costing $4.57 and the sandwich base costing $3.92. I don’t know of any real food, gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches for sale at a store, so I can’t make a comparison. At $.70 a sandwich, this is a great summer treat for anyone with gluten and dairy allergies.