This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This healthy meatloaf recipe is a delicious, easy meal. Cook once and eat twice with this dinner recipe. The flavor is fantastic!
When I was a child, my mother would make meatloaf once in a while. Of course, I wouldn’t touch it. It had ketchup in it, and I had an aversion to all things tomato.
I remember that when she made meatloaf, it was the only time my mom would take off her wedding ring. She didn’t want to get it all gunked up when she mixed the meat. She even has one of those crystal ring holders sitting on the windowsill over her kitchen sink for the occasional meatloaf or batch of meatballs.
As an adult, I hesitated to make meatloaf for many years because of the “mixing with your hands” thing. And even though I’ve overcome my tomato hangup, the one thing I still won’t touch is ketchup.
But several months ago, I discovered this meatloaf recipe from Kristin at Live Simply. No ketchup! I was brave enough to try it, and my family loved it.
Kristin’s recipe inspired me to develop my own easy, healthy meatloaf recipe. With just 6 simple ingredients, this recipe makes a flavorful dinner.
This is a Costco-based meal. I buy their 3-packs of organic ground beef, as well as organic oven-dried tomatoes and eggs. Two of the beef packages generate more than 2 pounds of meat, so I typically brown the extra half-pound of meat and put it in the freezer for Taco Night.
Healthy Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole grain or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 small onion diced finely
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. If you’re making homemade bread crumbs, toast a piece of whole grain bread. Once it cools, place it in a food processor or high-powered blender and process into crumbs.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, including the eggs and breadcrumbs. Remove your wedding ring if you wear one (Hi Mom!), and mix up all the ingredients with your hands.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and bake for about an hour. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees when the meatloaf is fully cooked.
- Cool slightly before cutting, and serve warm.
Healthy Meatloaf Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $10.02 to make using organic ground beef, or $1.25 per serving. Try this healthy meatloaf recipe for a delicious comfort food meal.