This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I make these little waffle cone bowls out of pizzelles. It requires some trial and error to determine which bowl you should use to mold the pizzelles into the right shape, and my Japanese tea cups do the best job.
You’ll need a pizzelle maker to cook these bowls. Do yourself a favor and read the instructions carefully before baking. You need to grease the machine properly or the pizzelles will stick. This creates an epic mess that you don’t want to deal with, trust me. (I use this palm oil shortening.)
If you’re hosting guests, this is a special dessert that everyone will enjoy. They don’t look perfect like store-bought cones, but I think their rustic look is part of what makes these waffle cone bowls wonderful. This recipe is adapted from my mother-in-law’s pizzelle recipe, which is a common cookie at our family gatherings.
Homemade Waffle Cone Bowls
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the pizzelle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, maple syrup, cooled coconut oil, and vanilla extract until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until all the flour is incorporated. The batter should be sticky and fairly thick. If it’s quite runny, add just a little more flour.
- Bake the pizzelles according to your machine’s instructions. When each pizzelle is finished cooking, immediately place the hot pizzelle on the bottom rounded end of a small bowl or glass. Hold it in place for about 30 seconds, until set.
- Continue with the remaining batter and let each bowl cool completely on a wire rack.
Waffle Cone Bowls Price Breakdown
This recipe yields 16 waffle cone bowls and costs a total of $3.80, or $.24 per bowl. This is the perfect way to serve a special ice cream dessert that your guests will love.