These Cranberry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are a great healthy indulgence in this season of cookie swaps and holiday tins. My brother put these cookies in my mind on Thanksgiving. He had been planning to bake some to share with the family, but he didn’t get around to it. He did succeed, however, in getting the terms chocolate, cranberry, and cookie stuck in my head.
I adapted the Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies recipe from the top of the Quaker Oats container. My version contains whole grain flour, coconut oil, and no refined sugar. You can find juice-sweetened dried cranberries in the bulk section of Whole Foods or another health food store. These taste delicious, and you can eat them without all the guilt of overly sweetened holiday cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and oats.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil, syrup, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- If your coconut oil was still hot when you mixed it in, put the batter in the fridge for a few minutes until it solidifies a bit. The batter shouldn’t be runny.
- Drop the batter by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until just set. If you bake these too long, they’ll come out dry.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit for a minute on the baking sheet. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
Cranberry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies Price Breakdown
This recipe yields 30 cookies and it costs a total of $4.38. This is a cost of $.44 per serving (3 cookies). Cranberry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are a delicious, healthier treat that your family will love.
If you’re looking for other healthy holiday cookie ideas, check out my recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies. These are revamped Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies, and you won’t miss the chocolate kiss in the middle.
What’s your favorite kind of cookie to eat during the holidays? Please share in the comments!