This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These mini pizza appetizers are a healthy take on a classic comfort food. This gluten free recipe uses portobello mushrooms for the crust, and it’s a delicious addition to a picnic or buffet spread.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is all about small plates and finger foods. From graduations and bridal showers to summer picnics and cookouts, this time of year is the season of the buffet table. Small bites are great for trying out a new spin on an old favorite.
Just about everyone loves pizza, but it isn’t the healthiest food. In this recipe, I’ve swapped portobello mushrooms for the pizza crust. The toppings are the highlight, with bright cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese bringing that classic pizza flavor.
These portobello mushroom pizzas are simple to make. It’s a good idea to cook them on a wire rack so they don’t end up swimming in the mushroom liquid. You can add other traditional pizza toppings like pepperoni, bell peppers, olives, and roasted eggplant. Look for smaller portobello caps, and double the batch if you’re serving a crowd.
Mini Pizza Appetizers
- 6 small portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbs fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush the portobello mushrooms with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt to taste. Place the mushrooms in a single layer on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Cook in the 425 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until they’re beginning to get tender. (The wire rack keeps the mushrooms from getting soggy. Timing will vary according to the size of the mushrooms.)
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top the mushrooms with pizza sauce, cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
- Return the mushrooms to the oven and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Mini Pizza Appetizers Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.69 to make, or $1.28 per serving. Try this healthier take on mini pizza appetizers at your next party!