This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This orange olive oil cake is such an easy, healthy dessert recipe. Great flavor and texture in a gluten-free cake for snack time!
A couple years ago, someone mentioned olive oil cake to me. It seemed like I was supposed to know that this was a thing. I didn’t.
But it sounded intriguing. I usually use coconut oil for baking, so why not olive oil? I wondered if it would make a big difference to the flavor of the cake, and if that would be a problem.
It isn’t a problem. It’s actually quite delicious.
This orange olive oil cake is so rich and flavorful. The oil gives it a great texture that can be difficult to achieve in a gluten-free cake. This isn’t a super sweet dessert cake, but more of a snack cake. It’s exactly the type of snack I find myself looking for during long afternoons.
The orange slices on top of the cake look so pretty. If you’re using an orange with a thick peel, you may want to remove it before baking because the pith can be bitter. Smaller oranges like clementines have thinner peels, so these can be left on the cake without any bitter side effects.
Orange Olive Oil Cake
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar divided
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs orange zest
- 1 medium orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, 1 cup of the coconut sugar, olive oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, and orange zest. I like to use a microplane to zest the orange very finely.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just to combine.
- In the greased pan, place thin slices of oranges on the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut sugar. (Optional: Remove the peel from the orange before slicing if the skin is quite thick.) Pour the batter on top of the orange slices.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for a few minutes, then carefully remove it from the pan to the cooling rack.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Orange Olive Oil Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $6.30 to make, or $.53 per piece. Try this delicious orange olive oil cake for a light, healthy dessert.