Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This strawberry banana smoothie bowl is so delicious and simple to make. You can garnish this thick smoothie bowl with all sorts of toppings for a healthy breakfast or snack.
Smoothie bowls are such a fun way to get lots of nutrients all at once. Topped with healthy ingredients like nuts, chia seeds, and shredded coconut, they’re heartier than a regular smoothie.
I love the flavors in this recipe. The base has just three ingredients (oat milk along with the fruit), so it’s super quick to make. Sprinkle on your favorite toppings, and you’re ready to go.
How to Make a Thick Smoothie Bowl
The key to a perfect smoothie bowl is making sure the base is thick enough to hold the toppings. If you tried using a regular smoothie, the toppings would sink below the surface, and you’d lose out on the pretty presentation.
The fruit should be frozen ahead of time to make this recipe. Using frozen fruit gives it a texture similar to homemade soft serve ice cream, which is sturdy enough to hold the toppings.
Make sure not to add too much liquid to the blender. Start with one cup, and add just enough to get the blender blades moving. This tends to be about 1¼ cups of total liquid for this recipe.
For extra thickness, you can add some oats, as shown in this chocolate version. You can also add a tablespoon of peanut butter or another nut butter for added texture and flavor.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl Tips
To get the correct texture, follow the instructions as written in this recipe. If needed, add extra frozen berries to thicken the mixture, or add a little more liquid if it’s too thick for the blender blades to operate properly.
This strawberry banana smoothie bowl is best served immediately, but you can also store it in the refrigerator for a couple hours if needed. If you do this, wait to add the toppings until you’re ready to serve it. You can vary the toppings according to what you have on hand, mixing in granola, mini chocolate chips, or other types of fruit as desired.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup oat milk (or other milk of choice) add more as needed
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 ripe bananas sliced and frozen
- 1 tbs shredded coconut
- 1 fresh strawberry diced
- 1 tsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Place the oat milk in the blender, followed by the frozen berries and frozen banana. Run the blender on low speed until the mixture starts to blend together, and gradually raise the speed as you’re able to. If the blender isn’t working properly because the mixture is too thick, you can add more oat milk one tablespoon at a time until the blade is able to spin freely. You may need an additional ¼ cup or more of liquid to get the right consistency. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until it’s the thickness of homemade soft serve ice cream. If it’s quite thin and pourable, add extra frozen berries to thicken it.
- Transfer the smoothie mixture to 2 bowls, and top with shredded coconut, diced nuts, chia seeds, and chopped fruit.
This recipe costs a total of $1.90 to make, or $.95 per serving. It makes a quick, affordable breakfast or snack that you can feel good about eating. Try this simple recipe for a delicious, healthy treat.
Pin it here: