This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This vegan whipped cream tastes divine! Made from just three simple ingredients, this coconut milk whipped cream is the perfect dessert topping.
For a non-dairy alternative to traditional whipped topping, this vegan whipped cream made with full fat coconut milk is the perfect thing.
I love the flavor of whipped coconut cream, and I’m always surprised by how similar it tastes to regular whipped cream. It does have a bit of a coconut flavor, but the texture is just like the real thing.
Vegan Whipped Cream Tips
It’s very important that you do two things before making this recipe: chill the cans of coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight, and freeze the mixing bowl and beater for at least 15 minutes before beating.
If you skip these important steps, the coconut cream won’t whip. It’ll just separate into a chunky mess, as you can see in the image below. The bowl on the left has been whipped at room temperature, and the bowl on the right shows vegan whipped cream that’s been properly chilled before whipping.
When the coconut milk is refrigerated, the coconut cream separates from the coconut water and settles at the top of the can. You can scoop it out of the can, being careful not to bring any of the thinner coconut water into the mixing bowl.
Between half and two-thirds of the can should be coconut cream. You’ll need two cans for the best results using a Kitchenaid mixer or other large bowl. If you want to cut this recipe in half, use a smaller bowl with a hand mixer.
Vegan Whipped Cream
- 2 14 oz cans full fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- 3 tbs pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Refrigerate the canned coconut milk overnight. Place a metal mixing bowl and electric mixer beaters (or Kitchenaid whisk attachment) in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. (Note: If you skip this step, the recipe won’t work. Everything needs to be cold.)
- Separate the solidified coconut cream from the coconut water in the can. Set aside the water to use another time, and place the coconut cream in the chilled mixing bowl. Using a Kitchenaid mixer or hand mixer, whip the cream for 30 seconds on medium speed. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then set the speed to high and whip for another 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. (You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times). Once the cream is fluffy and it resembles whipped cream, add the pure maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whip the mixture for another 20 to 30 seconds, until you reach the desired consistency.
- This coconut whipped cream can be served immediately, or it can be refrigerated if you want it to solidify a bit more.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe costs a total of $3.50 to make, or $.22 per serving (2 tablespoons). I get my cans of coconut milk for $1.50 each at Costco, but you should be able to find full fat coconut milk at just about any grocery store. Try this easy vegan whipped cream for a delicious topping on your favorite dessert.
Pin it here: