This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These strawberry cupcakes are a delicious gluten-free, vegan dessert.
Strawberry cupcakes are the perfect dessert to enjoy during strawberry season. I love using fresh, seasonal fruit in my dessert, and this treat will please any audience. The flavor is so good.
This is one of the few recipes on my blog that uses refined sugar. I’ve tried using maple syrup several times to make frosting, but it never turns out well. Powdered sugar typically includes cornstarch, which helps to thicken the frosting. I recommend using organic powdered sugar in order to avoid genetically modified corn. And if you have a recipe for a white frosting that’s refined sugar-free, please share it in the comments. I’d love to try it!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes
Ingredients for the Frosting
- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup organic palm oil shortening
- 2 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the cupcakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients for the cupcakes with an electric mixer. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. For full-sized cupcakes, bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For mini-cupcakes, bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender. This will generate about 1/3 cup of strawberry puree.
- Using an electric mixer, combine all three frosting ingredients to form a smooth frosting. If it seems a bit too wet, add a little more powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached. Frost the cupcakes when they're completely cool.
Strawberry Cupcakes Price Breakdown
Store-bought gluten-free desserts tend to be very expensive, and the quality isn’t always very good. These cupcakes, on the other hand, are affordable and delicious! This recipe makes 12 full-sized cupcakes, and the total cost is $7.61. This comes out to $.64 per cupcake. This is a great price for a delicious vegan, gluten-free cupcake.
Note: If you’re not avoiding gluten or dairy, you can use white whole wheat flour and cow’s milk for the cupcakes and butter or cream cheese for the frosting. They’re delicious either way.