This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This sweet potato breakfast hash is a delicious, healthy recipe that you can enjoy any time of day. It’s a hearty meal with an irresistible combination of flavors. (gluten-free, dairy-free)
This post is sponsored by California prunes through Kitchen PLAY, and I was compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.
My family could eat breakfast all day long. We love the classics like pancakes, waffles, and omelettes, and a plate of eggs with home fries is always welcome. But I also like to branch out and experiment with different flavors and ingredients for breakfast. I’m excited to be partnering with California Prunes to develop this unique breakfast recipe that features the unexpected.
This sweet potato breakfast hash is so full of flavor. The ground beef is topped with sausage seasonings, and it’s a hearty addition to the dish alongside the bacon. Sweet potatoes make up the bulk of the meal, but you almost don’t notice them with everything else that’s going on here.
The prunes are subtle in this recipe. If you serve this dish to people without telling them what’s in it, they may not be able to decipher the chewy bits of sweetness on their plates. The prunes add just the right flavor and texture to this hash. They also add a nice dose of fiber and antioxidants.
I love the quality of California prunes. They’re juicier and more flavorful than many other dried fruits. The California soil and climate are the perfect location for growing this crop, and California is the leader in the U.S. agricultural production of prunes.
California prunes are a healthy, shelf-stable snack that I can keep on hand for a busy day. Research suggests that eating a serving of prunes every day can help contribute to healthy bones and good digestive health. This is definitely an ingredient I feel good about feeding my family.
Try my dairy free breakfast casserole for another easy, hearty meal to start your day.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 6 slices of bacon (chopped)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2/3 cup diced prunes (about 12 prunes)
- 8 eggs
- Fill a large pot with an inch or two of water, and insert a steamer basket. Steam the chopped sweet potatoes until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat, stirring regularly until browned.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside. (Leave the bacon grease in the pan.) Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook it until it’s brown and cooked through. Add the ground fennel seed, thyme, sage, and salt. Stir to coat evenly, then remove the beef from the skillet.
- Add the diced onion to the skillet. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, until translucent, then add the cooked sweet potatoes to the skillet. Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for a couple minutes to brown the sweet potatoes a bit, stirring regularly. Add the cooked bacon, ground beef, and diced prunes to the skillet. Cook everything together over medium heat for a couple more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fried eggs.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Note: This post is sponsored by California prunes and I was compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.