St. Patrick’s Day is a great excuse to eat more greens.
Rather than use food coloring to make a St. Patrick’s Day treat, I use spinach and fresh mint to color this delicious, healthy drink. My Shamrock Shake is a green smoothie in disguise. Shhh – don’t tell my kids. 🙂
Actually, I’m just kidding. I always make it a point to let me children know when they’ve eaten something healthy like spinach. But I do sometimes wait until after they’ve eaten it to tell them.
This Shamrock Shake recipe is full of probiotics, fiber, potassium, and calcium. But it’s also full of sweet, minty flavor. As with all smoothie recipes, I recommend you taste it as you go and adjust the proportions to your liking. If your banana isn’t very ripe, you’ll want to add a little more maple syrup. If you like it extra minty, throw in a few more mint leaves. And for a dairy-free version, use your choice of non-dairy milk in place of the yogurt and milk in this recipe.
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 large, very ripe banana
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbs. maple syrup (or to taste)
- Freshly whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Place the yogurt, milk, spinach, mint leaves, banana, and vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste the shake and add the maple syrup if needed. Add more of any of the other ingredients to suit your tastes.
- Garnish with freshly whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings if desired. Enjoy!
Shamrock Shake Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.55 to make, or $.52 per one-cup serving. Try this Shamrock Shake recipe for a sweet, healthy treat to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
And don’t forget to enjoy some whole grain Irish soda bread while you’re at it!